[Wikipedia-l] in response to your article "Librarian: Don't use Wikipedia as source" in the Post-Standard

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Sat Aug 28 04:06:12 UTC 2004

Dear Mr. Fasoldt, dear Ms. Stagnitta,

I am writing in response to your article "Librarian: Don't use
Wikipedia as source" in the Post-Standard.

I.

I would like to strongly second what fellow Wikipedia contributor
Mathias Schindler recently wrote to you (see his email below). Mathias
observed that the Wikipedia is not alone in having a disclaimer as
regards the accuracy and validity of our content. He pointed out that
the Encyclopaedia Britannica also has a legal disclaimer. To that I
would also like to add what fellow contributor Pcb21 has found:
Practically ALL encyclopaedias have such disclaimers:

>> Columbia : http://www.bartleby.com/sv/terms.html , section 3
>> Encarta  : http://privacy.msn.com/tou/ , section 9
>> Encyclopedia.com : http://www.encyclopedia.com/terms.asp, section 5

II.

You wrote that there was no editorial review at the Wikipedia.

This is incorrect. Our articles DO undergo substantial editorial
review. However, contrary to how paper-based encyclopedias operate,
editorial review at the Wikipedia takes place AFTER publication.

Our system works as follows:

- A user makes a submission, for instance he or she edits an article or
creates a new one.
- EVERY submission (to any article) automatically causes the article in
question to be added to this machine-generated list:
  	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Recentchanges
- EVERY article change is tracked in the article's history.
- By clicking an article's "diff" link on the Recent changes page, it
can be seen precisely WHAT was changed.
- A large number of users regularly patrol the Recent changes page.
Considering the 24/7, worldwide nature of our encyclopedia, there is
hardly ever an article that would pass through Recent changes
unchecked. If there is a mistake, it is very likely to get spotted and
it can be changed instantly once spotted (our readers don't have to
write a letter to the publisher).

There also is a separate page for newly created articles (also
auto-generated):
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Newpages

These are not the only tools we use for editorial review of our
articles:
This template (which is included in many of our procedural and
administrative pages) lists but a few:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Resources_for_collaboration

As you can see, there are a large number of ways in which we conduct
editorial review, even if errors get past Recent changes.

III.

You also questioned the authority of our site and whether our content
is well-researched. I am going to tell you something I am not really
supposed to:

If you doubt the standards of our editorial review mechanisms, go try
and introduce some decidedly un-encyclopaedic (unproven, contentious
and/or unacademic, etc.) information into an article of your choice.
Then check back and see how long your contribution will remain in the
article. My confidence is high that -- depending on how much this
contribution falls short of encyclopedic standards -- you will find
your contribution challenged on the respective article's discussion
page (where you will likely be asked to provide references for your
claims) or outright removed.

Your concerns over the quality of our content are however justified in
one respect:
At any given point in time, it is possible that a mistake (or
vandalism) has just been introduced to an article you're retrieving.
Users are thus encouraged to check any article's history -- a
tremendous tool for readers and contributors alike:

	As an example, let's look at the CGA article:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter
	You will note the "history" tab. Clicking it takes you to this page:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?
title=Color_Graphics_Adapter&action=history
	On this page, you can see and compare every previous version of the
article.
	You can compare these versions and easily see precisely WHAT was
changed. As an example:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?
title=Color_Graphics_Adapter&diff=5388826&oldid=5388760

If someone eg. vandalizes an article, it will almost certainly be
quickly caught and reverted
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Revert).
Especially popular and contentious articles do regularly get
vandalized. But never for long. Look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=George_W._Bush&action=history
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=John_Kerry&action=history
Note how little time typically elapses until vandalism is corrected.

IV.

Many of us believe that it is beneficial to make it as EASY as possible
to contribute to our encyclopedia.

The traditional approach to writing encyclopedias, to aggregating human
knowledge, has been to make it as DIFFICULT as possible to contribute.
You have to obtain formal certifications and undergo formal training to
be even allowed to contribute. This is done in the hope of  reaching
and maintaining high standards.

Many of us believe that this however stifles progress as it excludes
all knowledge and knowledge-based skills obtained in any other way
(than formal accreditation).

We put a process in place that will accept all comers in the first
instance -- and combine and distill these collective contributions to
reach high standards.
Our daily growth and quality improvement shows that the traditional
approach -- only allowing very few select individuals to contribute --
wastes enormous talent, potential and opportunity for progress in all
fields of human knowledge. Thus, one of our core operating principles
is to lower any bars to entry as much as possible, if not to outright
abolish them. Anyone can contribute. You don't need to provide
certifications. You don't need to show ID or a credit card. You don't
need to give an email address. You don't even need to log in or create
an account. You can edit. Because you have UNIQUE knowledge skills. Dr.
Pyotr Anokhin calculated that the number of possible combinations in
the human brain was 10 to the power of 799 (seven hundred ninety nine).
In short, NO ONE on this planet will ever have the same thoughts as
you. It thus makes sense for us to be as inclusive as possible. We
would be honored to welcome your contribution to our modest but growing
record of human knowledge.

If you have any remaining doubts about our potential to deliver the the
most comprehensive, comprehensible and correct encyclopedia on the
planet, please refer to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Replies_to_common_objections
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page#lang

The irony of course is that you will probably now find yourself doing
the exact same thing we do all of the time:
Review and correct your Post-Standard article AFTER publication. That
doesn't necessarily make your publication a worse information source --
as long as you DO correct inaccuracies where found.

Yours sincerely,

-- Jens Ropers
     Wikipedia contributor
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ropers
     www.ropersonline.com

PS: Oh, and as for "accredited scientists", "academics" and
"intellectuals"? We're "building it" -- and they are coming.