[Wikipedia-l] Re: Article - Librarian: Don't use Wikipedia as source

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 26 04:11:07 UTC 2004

Andrew Lih wrote:

>Librarian: Don't use Wikipedia as source
>Wednesday, August 25, 2004
>AL FASOLDT
>STAFF WRITER

<snip>

>Stagnitta gives two quotes from the Wikipedia site that illustrate the problem.
>
>>From the home page:
>
>"Wikipedia is an encyclopedia written collaboratively by its readers.
>The site is a Wiki, meaning that anyone, including you, can also edit
>any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that
>appears at the top of every Wikipedia article."

Actually, this quote is not taken from the home page, but from
[[Wikipedia:Welcome, newcomers]].

All I can say is if that kind of sloppy journalism is representative of
their work, I'll put our reliability up against theirs anytime.

But Andrew's right, criticism is bound to appear because to the media,
we're a subject to be treated with their own version of NPOV. Usually
that means when the coverage has been too slanted in one direction,
there will be attempts at debunking the misperceptions. This one is
mildly amusing, not worth getting riled up about, and still brings us
free publicity.

--Michael Snow