[Wikipedia-l] Re: What is the purpose of this mailing list ??

Andreas Hoerstemeier ahoerstemeier at spamcop.net
Wed Aug 25 10:55:56 UTC 2004

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Which wikipedia articles are you talking about? en:articles de:articles
> ? Should nl: articles not be written because they have an overlap with
> de: or en:? WikiSpecies will if anything provide a resource for all
> wikipedia.
Sister projects are Wikipedia-Wikisource-Wikiquote-Wikibooks-Wictionary.
The different languages have nothing to do with sister projects, every
one of the project may be available in different languages.

The Wikispecies has overlap with both the Wikipedia and Wikisource
project. The problems I see so far:
- The plain language description, photos, range maps, taxonomic
classification are territory covered by Wikipedia
- The original description of the taxon like the one you posted in
another thread, as well as a (complete) list of references would not fit
into a the Wikipedia, such better fit into something like Wikisource
- For obscure taxons the Wikispecies article would only contain such
source information, in Wikipedia it'd be something like a stub without
any hope of growing (until someone researches that taxon), thus it'd
clutter the database and might be better as a redirect to the
upper-level taxon.
- Something similar applies to one-child taxons like living fossils,
where a species is is only one of a family. All the upper level taxons
only have the taxonomic data as contents.
- And we have the searching enhancements which are specially needed for
the taxnomic database to be useful for professional use. It might be
possible to generalize them to make them usable outside the
ToL-articles, so no harm in creating them in Wikipedia as well.
- At least in some languages it has fixed common names assigned to a
species (or higher taxons). Yet in Wikipedia we can only use those for
interwiki links once it already has the target article - an ugly way to
put them into the article before would be interwiki-links hidden by
HTML-comments.

I second Mavs concerns about forking, yet including all of the
Wikispecies contents (as I understand it) into Wikipedia would be
stretching the rules as well. One possible (but not really beautiful)
way I could see is to put the source and database stuff into the
separate Wikispecies, but put the plain text stuff and basic in
Wikipedia - and of course closely link the two.

However I am not sure if this discussion in the mailing list is really
the best place - meta might be better. Not all ToL contributors,
especially not those from the other languages, are ready the mailing list.

[[User:Ahoerstemeier]]