[Wikipedia-l] Re: What is the purpose of this mailing list ??

Pete/Pcb21 pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com
Wed Aug 25 16:28:51 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

> When fully developed, a wikispecies directory will be a delightful
> resource work as a standalone *and* a nice foundation for *some*
> encyclopedia articles.  But the two are not identical.

The Tree of Life project's aim has always been to write about all
species. I think that ambitious aim has been part of the reason for its
success in becoming the largest wikiproject (tens of thousands of
articles), with the most contributors.

I am personally disappointed that you want to put a stop to that -
presumably coming up with some guideline so that *some* species are
allowed articles, but not all.

It also rides against the overwhelming consensus of this thread, as
mentioned in my other post. Whatever their position on wikispecies,
on-one has suggested crippling wikipedia.

Pete/Pcb21