[Wikipedia-l] What is the purpose of this mailing list ??

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 15:49:21 UTC 2004

--- Gerard Meijssen <gerardm at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Therefore I fail to see why the ToL, which is an en: resource, would
> serve as reason _not_ to start WikiSpecies. When people think that it
> takes away from the ToL, they fail to consider that the effort that goes
> into WikiSpecies may not be effort that does not go into en: but that it
> may take effort away from nl: or de: or fr:

Many different Wikipedia language versions have their own ToL WikiProject. What
we need is something that has all the supposed benefits of Wikispecies but none
of the disadvantages. The most recent discussion has been moving in this
direction.

> Conclusion:
> *The arguments against are en: based have little or no relevance to
> other wikipedia and are, because of its purpose, of litle relevance to
> this list.

Wrong. See above.

> *WikiSpecies will be a sister-project and as such it is not for this
> mailing list to decide what is going to happen.

It is a fork of a very large part of Wikipedia, so it is *most* relevant.

> *The danger of forking outside Wikimedia is real, this to happen is the
> worst case scenario, because it will mean that a potentially valuable
> resource will be lost to all wikipedia not just to en:.

Wrong again. We want to improve Wikipedia so that it has many of the functions
that a separate project would have without forking our own content. What others
do is beyond our control but what *we* do is not.

-- Daniel