[Wikipedia-l] Tabular data in Wikipedia (Wikispecies -> Wikicommons)

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Wed Aug 25 08:30:36 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>We also have the same database design problems with interlanguage links, user
>accounts, and logins.

So we should fix these. Create a single database that contains
* interlanguage links (for all languages)
* user accounts/logins
* raw data for species/elements/whatever

Interlanguage links would have to be extracted and removed from the
articles and put into an extra textbox on editing, which IMHO would be
an improvement.

Local user accounts can stay as they are, but have a "user_global_id"
field that, when non-zero, uses the global instead of the local one.
User accounts with the same name *and* password can be automatically
merged into a global account once.

Raw data would at least need these fields
* type (species, element, etc.)
* ID (latin species name, for example)
* key
* value

Personally, I would include the wikicommons project into that design, so
we have a central database for images and multimedia at the same place.

Magnus