[Wikipedia-l] Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian, and Serbo-Croatian

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Aug 19 20:04:25 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:
> Austin Hair wrote:
>>As for that, some time ago I noticed that we have Bosnian, Serbian,
>>Croatian, and Serbo-Croatian wikis.  I'm sure this topic must have been
>>debated somewhere, but nobody I've asked has been able to illuminate me
>>as to the rationale for this decision.  Can anyone here?
>
> I do not know the rationale, either.  I think it is something that we
> should discuss.

As far as I know we've had sr and hr wikis since the earliest days. bs
was eventually added on request, and the abandoned sh wiki was
eventually closed to reduce redundancy.

Note that the ISO 639 code 'sh' for Serbo-Croatian was officially
withdrawn on February 18, 2000.
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/codechanges.html

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)