[Wikipedia-l] Does anyone knows the beginning of ja?

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Aug 17 21:10:18 UTC 2004

Tomos at Wikipedia wrote:
> Japanese Wikipedia was among the first
> ones. Is there anybody who remembers how that happened?
> Was multilingualization of Wikipedia an idea of Jimmy
> and Larry from the beginning?

>From the very beginning, yes.  Japanese in particular was and is an
interest of mine because my wife was born in Tokyo and is
half-Japanese.  But of course, I am not responsible for any edits
there, and others must take all the credit.

I would be *keenly* interested in visiting Japan to accept the award,
if there's a ceremony or whatever, even if it has to be at my own
expense.