[Wikipedia-l] Re: Small fund-rising improvements.

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 14 07:31:54 UTC 2004

Krzysztof Kowalczyk a écrit:
> I was just looking on Foundation's fund-rising page and have two comments.
>
> 1. I think that "Merchandise" and "Donations" should be separated,
> similar to what http://www.mozilla.org/ does. I believe more people
> would visit "Merchandise" or "WikiPedia merchandise" resulting in more
> sales => more funding. I believe that because in people's minds
> "donating" and "buying cool stuff" (even if it ultimately leads to
> funding a good cause) is strongly separated.

I absolutely agree with you !

I invite you to put your thoughts here
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_website

I invite you to help us here as well :-)
http://wikimedia.org/wiki/About_Wikimedia

> In more specific terms, things that could be done:
> * a link to "Merchandise" on main wikipedia.org page, in the nav
> section, next to "Donations" link
> * this link goes to a separate page on foundation's website which only
> deals with merchandise (and not all donations options)

I think it is best that only one link is kept, but that on the donation
page, a proeminent link will lead to "Merchandise".

> In general I think that foundation should study what Mozilla project
> does for fundraising as they are not larger/more visible project but
> according to http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=110721 they
> do much better at getting funding via. t-shirt sales ($15,000.00 for
> mozilla vs. $460.90 for wikipedia).
>
> Things that I think mozilla.org does better:
> * much nicer web design. No offense, but
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/fundraising is bad, both functionally
> (it's hard to read, the copy isn't that great) and visually (compare
> to http://www.mozillastore.com/products/clothing)
> * selling t-shirts on open-source conventions (linuxcon/oscon/devday)
> which is what http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=110721
> implies that mozilla foundation is doing (I don't really know, I
> haven't been there)

What about helping us set a page for the [[buying cool stuff]] ? I agree
with you this is much needed. On this page, we should not only list tee
shirts and related items, but also list items such as wikireaders, CD
distributions etc...

> 2. More t-shirt designs.
>
> I think that a design that gives emphasis on personal involvement in
> the project would be more attractive to people than a generic design
> with a logo. E.g. designs with teksts such as "I contribute to
> WikiPedia.org" or "I wrote for Encyclopedia \n wikipedia.org", "I
> write Encyclopedia articles \n wikipedia.org". I'm not claiming that
> exactly this wording should be used - I just want to give an example
> of what I mean (emphasis on contributing/writing for
> WikiPedia/Encyclopedia).

What about a small contest page ?

> Also, I think that Mozilla's "$50 donation t-shirt"
> (http://www.mozillastore.com/products/donations/50shirt) is a good
> idea. It could even had a text that says that e.g. "I donated to
> WikiPedia", "I make Free Encyclopedia possible", "I fund Free
> Encyclopedia" - something along those lines.
>
> Krzysztof Kowalczyk | http://blog.kowalczyk.info

Agreed, but only if some of the profit goes to the foundation or to the
project in general (through the local associations).

ant