[Wikipedia-l] Re: Text-to-speech

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sat Aug 14 00:19:22 UTC 2004

Magnus Manske wrote:

> I just found an AT&T demo site for text-to-speech synthesis:
>
> http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
>
> which appears to generate *way* better speech than I got from other
> (local installation) demos.

Well, personally, I find it rather disappointing, and I have heard
better ones even several years ago.  However, it would certainly be
pretty cool to have Wikipedia articles as sound files.

This might even combine well with the validation feature.  We could ask
them to synthesise an article whenever it reaches a certain level of
validation.  That way, even though Wikipedia can be edited by anyone,
people would not be able to abuse the system to use the software for
their own purposes.

Timwi