[Wikipedia-l] (unicode) templates in chess table

Roman Maurer roman.maurer at amis.net
Wed Aug 11 17:51:46 UTC 2004

Hello!

I have a problem encoding the chess table in Slovene Wikipedia:
http://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uporabnik:Romanm/%C5%A0ahovska_deska
The upper-right version is twice-templated and subject to my question
since it is not working, the lower version does not use main template
and is there only for comparision.

The idea is to have [[Template:Chess_Position]] and use it like follows:

{{Chess_Position|white=white
|black=lightgray
|a1=
... other initialisations
|h8=
|h8=template for black knight
|g7=template for black king
|f7=template for white pawn
|e5=template for white king
|h4=template for white queen}}

I was using direct unicode characters instead of chess-piece templates,
but Internet Explorer users complained that they cannot see the
characters and they appeared in background color in Mozilla (*), so I
switched to templates that should display picture on the background.

But this does not work!  Any hints where did I go wrong?

* Version with Unicode characters:
http://sl.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Uporabnik:Romanm/%C5%A0ahovska_deska&oldid=32268
--
	Pozdrav,