[Wikipedia-l] wikiverse spamming

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Aug 2 20:44:31 UTC 2004

I have gotten 2 complaints so far today from people who were spammed
by wikiverse.org.  Wikiverse is a relatively nice and non-evil looking
Wikipedia mirror.  But they are apparently sending emails to
webmasters who are in the "external links" section saying things
like:

==================
Dear webmaster at firesigntheatre.com,

My name is Kate Weaver (though most people just call me Katz) and I'm
the Content Manager of Wikiverse.org - A World of Knowledge, a
community of sites dedicated to providing high-quality informative web
+content.

We placed a link to your site http://www.firesigntheatre.com in the
External Link section of the Homepage of:

http://the-firesign-theatre.wikiverse.org/ (Check it out!)

I would appreciate it if you returned the favor and linked back to
http://the-firesign-theatre.wikiverse.org/.  Linking back to us will
also help maintain your link with us in the future.

This is evil.  There is not much we can do about it, I think, but I
just wanted to publicly shame them into stopping it.

--Jimbo