[Wikipedia-l] Gutza's puzzle piece design

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 28 00:09:44 UTC 2003

Geoffrey Thomas wrote:

>Till Westermayer ("till we *)") writes in part:
>... > But the puzzle piece could become
>
>>a Wikipedia mascot (especially if the PM logo will end as the final
>>ratified logo).
>>

>Microsoft Office uses four (or more) colored puzzle pieces for
>its logo. Aren't there any problems with that?

It took a while to even understand this objection.  MS's 4-piece
minipuzzle is so different from the puzzle sphere that it takes a great
deal of imagination to find meaningful similarity.  No doubt they have a
trademark in that particular design, and could protest if anyone tried
to use anything similar enough to be mistaken for it by reorganbizing
the colours or the orientation of the puzzle piece interlocks.

That the trademark would extend to all uses of puzzle pieces in any
context is just too far-fetched.  There is absolutely nothing in the
design to remind people of Microsoft.

Ec