[Wikipedia-l] Voting versus consensus

Jimmy Wales jwales at joey.bomis.com
Sat Sep 27 13:28:01 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:
> What compromise can you make between a puzzle sphere and an abstract
> circle-type logo?  Combining ideas from both sounds good in theory
> but in practice is the kind of forced solution that never works.

That's right.  It's pretty hard to envision how anything like that
could be workable.  A logo is not an encyclopedia article, so the wiki
process itself isn't well suited to dealing with it.

> While my favorite didn't win (it didn't even make the list of finalists),
> I think the overall logo process worked pretty well.

I do agree with this.  I do point out, though, that there's a lot of
bickering which *might* lead to hard feelings if people aren't
careful.

I'm going to vote now to ratify the logo... not because the logo is my
favorite, but because I want to express support for the process.  That
is, I'm voting for the _principle_ that community votes should be
respected in almost all cases.

It's like, suppose we had an election for mayor, and then we had a
separate vote on "should the outcome of the vote be respected and
supported by all, even if our favorite candidate didn't win".

I'd vote 'yes' on the second in almost all circumstances, as long as
I felt the process wasn't radically rigged in some fashion.

--Jimbo