[Wikipedia-l] Voting versus consensus

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sat Sep 27 08:33:14 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>What was missing was a good overview of the pros and cons of each logo.
>This has technical reasons -- with the pages already very big and over 130
>submissions, discussions had to be relegated to relatively hidden talk
>pages. I'm not very happy with this, because I believe in the principle of
>*informed* democracy.

Yes, I agree entirely with this.
I think the winner got so many votes because it incorporates words in
many languages, which probably appealed to people because it looks
"international".
But this excessive text is *exactly* what makes it a terrible logo - it
doesn't scale down and the filesize is TOO BIG for the web.