[Wikipedia-l] Re: Fair use and inline links

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Sat Sep 27 02:29:21 UTC 2003

From: "Anthere" <anthere6 at yahoo.com>

> Pb is that the user will not necessarily look at the
> source, so will miss the info

I think any user who is a downstream licencee will
be lookiing for any due dilligence that they can
rely upon or verify independently. This is important
as we cannot forsee all future fair use scenarios.
A downstream licensee will have to check this out,
already WP states that all text is released under the
GFDL. Someone can verify the edits and the collaborative
authoring process for the text by looking into the
page histories and analyzing all the contributions on
a page (yes this is why IMO the IBM/MIT research
project can be important to the future of the GFDL)
and they will be able to make a decision about the
authorship of texts. For images it will be more a question
of public domain or trying to understand the relationship
between their use of the GFDL materials vs. the
Wikipedia use and see if their use is also a "fair use".
If not, they either delete the image, or they ask
permission (something that even we can do). If they
are going to make money using GFDL materials I do
not see any contradiction with that and our use of
fair use materials here on Wikipedia. If it is a photo,
for a biography, well, then can hire an artist to make
 a sketch of the person depicted if they cannot get
permission. At least they have an image to work
from.
For people who might want to create their own
native encyclopedia, their use is probably fair use
as well. Why worry so much about that? There is
no reason to get hysterical about it here. Wikipedias
are non-commercial (different from non-profit) and
educational. The amount of material that the photo
represents is relatively minor and with the small size
of the thumbnails used, how can anyone suggest
that the image is anything more than providing some
basic information, i.e. what a person looks like or
what a whale looks like. No one is going to sue
Wikipedia for that (and even then there is the DCMA
OCILLA sec. 512 procedure anyone can follow).

Alex756