[Wikipedia-l] Re: Fair use and inline links

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Sat Sep 27 01:04:15 UTC 2003

From: "Steve Vertigum" <utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com>

> --- "Alex R." <alex756 at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > If this is going to be done it is all the more
> > reason for
> > the image description page to be completed with
> > specific information.
>
> There there needs to be a form to fill out (upon
> upload ) thats more than just a comment line--
> something to remind people of the basic info they
> should get in the habit of including.

This is a good idea and it is something that Anthere
has also suggested elsewhere (do you remember where
you brought this up Anthere?).

However, that does not solve the problem that
each fair use must be specifically described, i.e.
when one uploads an image it is available to use
on many encyclopedia pages, what is needed is
information _about_each_use_ that will help
show that the kind of fair use is the kind that
Jimbo has talked about, fair use that covers just
about any GFDL downstream application of
the image in an encyclopedic, informational
context.

Otherwise we are going to get as crazy on the
English Wikipedia about deleting images as
we have become on the French Wikipedia
(and perhaps elsewhere that I am unaware).

Alex756