[Wikipedia-l] New logo and further process

Gutza gutza at moongate.ro
Sat Sep 27 00:28:49 UTC 2003

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 11:36:01AM +0300, Gutza wrote:
>

>>Richard Grevers wrote:
>>

>>>Yay - months of process and what do we get? The worst result - the
>>>logo that has the biggest technical problems in terms of reproduction
>>>in other media. Its greyscale version is incredibly unclear because it
>>>is far too busy.
>>>You just doubled or tripled the cost of Wikimedia letterhead, folks,
>>>so everyone who voted for it had better donate extra.
>>>

>>Plus it's horrible. No offence to anyone, the thing already won, so it's
>>not a matter of offending the author anymore, but that logo stinks big
>>time. If this is democracy in action, imagine running a country this way.
>>

>OK, we've seen voting in action twice - first with article count reform,
>now with a logo. And both times with a horrible results. If anyone wasn't
>convinced that voting is bad, he can definitely see it now. So can we stop
>making decisions this way now ?

Suggestions? If such a significant minority is so dissatisfied with the
results of voting, do you think Jimbo or some board picking a logo would
yield higher levels of satisfaction among wikipedians? In this
particular instance, I personally would've been happier with Jimbo
picking one because I know which one he prefers, but I'm 100% certain
that would've upset quite a lot of "betrayed wikipedians" "appalled by
the acts of dictatorship" etc. And they'd be right, as far as the
WikiWiki community goes.

So, what would you suggest?

Gutza