[Wikipedia-l] New logo and further process

Richard Grevers lists at dramatic.co.nz
Fri Sep 26 19:29:58 UTC 2003

On 26 Sep 2003 16:18:00 +0200, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> gave
utterance to the following:

> tarquin-
>
>> And the whole voting process has been a complete fiasco.
>
> Thanks for your constructive feedback, Tarquin. I'll take it into account
> the next time I organize something like this.

There wasn't a problem with the voting process. The problem was the lack
of a qualification stage where each entrant was judged as to whether or
not it meets the brief. Thus the vote was uneven. It was likely that many
voters had no understanding that some logos had technical problems and
merely voted of symbolism or aesthetics. While others of us made a more
suitability-based judgement.
The winner doesn't, IMO, comply with the design brief, and without
significant revision to make it comply to the brief it should not have
made it to the voting starting line.
--
Richard Grevers
Between two evils always pick the one you haven't tried