[Wikipedia-l] Re: Fair use and inline links

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 16:40:54 UTC 2003

Message: 12
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:22:20 -0400
From: "Alex R." <alex756 at nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Fair use and inline
links
To: <wikipedia-l at Wikipedia.org>

From: "Anthere" <anthere6 at yahoo.com>

> However, our users should be given the copyright
> status of the information provided. Text is gfdl.
> Images...not always so. They may prefer not to use
> fair use images, or cp pictures, with author
> permission to wikipedia. The problem of inline
> linking, is that the user have no easy access to
that
> information. He could look for the internet link.
See
> the image displayed, and now what ? How could he
know
> how to tweak the link to get to the image
description

If this is going to be done it is all the more reason
for the image description page to be completed with
specific information. Remember that the image use page
can never be "fair use" it is the use of that image
that is fair use, thus all images that are used as
fair use must have copyright information, i.e. where
it was from, who took the photo, etc., otherwise a
subsequent editor will never be able to determine if
their use of the image will be fair use. If the
copyright owner appears and says, yes you can use the
image in this article but we do not agree with using
it in that article, it would be easier if both
articles (<!-- in hidden text -->) explained the
rationale for fair use, then if Wikipedia wanted to
say that it could use the images it would have some
idea why the uses are fair use. Otherwise the material
will just have to be deleted.

Alex756

-------------

That means it would be interesting to add some
"fields" in the upload page,
* perhaps one field explicitely for the cp status,
public domain, gfdl, cp with permission, cp without
permission, field that would be mandatory
* one field for author name
* perhaps one for source

If the image is cp, that means the one linking the
image to a page would have to respect a certain
process when linking it to a page perhaps ?

If standard inline linking is used, all that
information won't be available, but perhaps the user
could hide information in the page.