[Wikipedia-l] Re: Fair use and inline links

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Fri Sep 26 16:22:20 UTC 2003

From: "Anthere" <anthere6 at yahoo.com>

> However, our users should be given the copyright
> status of the information provided. Text is gfdl.
> Images...not always so. They may prefer not to use
> fair use images, or cp pictures, with author
> permission to wikipedia. The problem of inline
> linking, is that the user have no easy access to that
> information. He could look for the internet link. See
> the image displayed, and now what ? How could he know
> how to tweak the link to get to the image description

If this is going to be done it is all the more reason for
the image description page to be completed with
specific information. Remember that the image use page
can never be "fair use" it is the use of that image that
is fair use, thus all images that are used as fair use
must have copyright information, i.e. where it was from,
who took the photo, etc., otherwise a subsequent editor
will never be able to determine if their use of the image
will be fair use. If the copyright owner appears and
says, yes you can use the image in this article but
we do not agree with using it in that article, it would be
easier if both articles (<!-- in hidden text -->) explained
the rationale for fair use, then if Wikipedia wanted
to say that it could use the images it would have some
idea why the uses are fair use. Otherwise the material
will just have to be deleted.

Alex756