[Wikipedia-l] Table markup + lists?

David Friedland david at nohat.net
Wed Sep 24 15:46:21 UTC 2003

I was experimenting with the table markup on test and ran into a
situation which I didn't seem to be able to solve using the table markup.

There is a page I have been working on [[List of words of disputed
pronunciation]] onto which I have put pronunciations in IPA and SAMPA.
The way I have them now is just one after another, separated by nubers
in parentheses (as a label for each pronunciation) and commas.

After some discussion on talk, it seems there needs to be different
versions of each pronunciation, IPA vs. SAMPA, AmE vs. BrE, etc. Such a
matrix of pronunciations is tabular information perfectly suited for a
table. Unfortunately, each word is in an unordered list (lines starting
with *) and the syntax for those lists requires all text for each item
be placed on one line. Thus it seems impossible to mix the wiki syntax
for unordered lists and for tables.

So:

(1) Should there be a way to mix lists and tables using wiki syntax?
(2) Should a different approach to organizing this page be taken?

I suppose it would be possible to put everything in a giant wiki table,
but that would be using tables for layout and not for just tabular
information, which seems like the wrong approach.

- David [[User:Nohat]]