[Wikipedia-l] Re: Fair use and inline links

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 04:59:34 UTC 2003

> From: Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com>
> Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Fair use (Alex, Brion et
> Tarquin)
> Brion Vibber wrote:
> > And remember, folks, *no picture* is much better
> than a picture we can't
> > redistribute. If you didn't make it with your own
> hands or scan it from
> > a piece of paper older than 1924, and it doesn't
> have a "public domain"
> > or "GNU Free Documentation License" note on it,
> think twice.
>
> I agree completely with this sentiment.  I think we
> should not be
> pushing any boundaries with respect to fair use,
> because of the
> redistribution issue.
>
> As Alex has been patiently teaching us, fair use is
> a defense, a
> defense that depends on the use, and for that
> reason, and because of
> our interest in free redistribution, we should take
> care that when we
> do rely on fair use, we do so in such a way that
> almost anyone could
> rely on a fair use defense for any plausible re-use
> of our content.
>
> To take the easiest possible example, a quote of a
> few sentences of a
> copyrighted novel in an article about the author of
> that novel.  This
> is fair use for us, and it's also going to be fair
> use for just about
> any plausible re-use of our content.

Thanks for revoicing this again Jimbo. That is a point
that was raised again a couple of days ago on the fr
wiki (I mean...what your position was on the topic,
and the level of risk wikimedia was ready to accept)

> > It was disabled on the English wikipedia, as
> that's where abuses were
> > occuring (quite frequently). In any case I would
> _discourage_ such
> > linking. And there have been enough crazy court
> decisions over 'deep
> > linking' and such that I wouldn't rely on "it's
> just a link to another
> > site, we're not _copying it_" for an image
> embedded into a web page.
> > (IANAL)
>
> Yes, and it's pretty rude to the other webmaster.
> People often refer
> to it as 'stealing bandwidth', which may be an
> overly bold claim, but
> still, it's not good etiquette to embed an image in
> that way.

Loo run a query to list all the inline links. There
were quite a bunch. There were also a certain nomber
of inline links made from the other wikipedia sites,
especially meta.

This is probably due to the fact it is a bit painful
to "tranfer" a pict from one wikipedia to another, and
for some resources (such as flags) it make sense to
have a common source of images, not to copy and copy
again from the others wikipedias.

I would like to support making impossible to make some
inline links on all wikipedias; not english only.

I understood the en took that decision because of
goatce.However, as you say, it is not nice for the
webmaster and the other web site. Besides, the link
may die. Plus, the reader does not know whether he may
benefit the ressource. He might come to believe he can
just copy the image, and that one be GFDL. It is
misleading and dangerous to other one.

Finally, Alex and
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_v._Arriba_Soft_Corporation
indicated that it was not necessarily a good idea to
use this type of linkage.

Anthere