[Wikipedia-l] Re: Fundraising

Joachim Kerschbaumer email at joachim.net
Sun Sep 21 21:12:01 UTC 2003

Mav wrote:
> but I'm sure we could post periodic PDFs with the dates and amounts (no names).

That was what I meant. Names/country is just optional (paypal free-TXT
could be used for that).

>>A lot of comments (especially on the german wikipedia) are always "What is this Wikimedia-Fondation"...
>So far the Foundation is just Jimbo and the reason you should trust him...

It took me totally by suprise, I think you really got me wrong. I said
"comments", this is not my opinion!!!
I trust Jimbo, nearly as much as you ;-)
But: There are a lot of people in Europe that are sceptical when they
hear "An american Organisation..." so I would like to show them:
Wikimedia is totally open, you can trust this guys. But I need a little
bit support in proving that, so the request for this list was just an
Idea how to improve the trust of european people in an american
organisaion.

>Slow down - we still need to set the darn thing up.

Sorry for hurrying, it is just a strange feeling to send out a
Wikimedia-pressrelease and asking for donations and then when people ask
"Sending money to America...???" you have to explain and explain...
But it is mainly the responsability of the german wikipedia to make this
things clear for Germany. Sadly my Wiki-time is currently really
restricted due to holiday (my wife want's me to take even Wiki-holidays
on our Holidays... ;-)
I tried to start the german donations-page and I hope I get some support
in my efforts on this on de.wikipedia.

> last thing we need is for people to think that the size of their donations
> somehow gives them more power in our community.

I agree with you, and that was not the point. The point was: a user
currently has just no way to check that his money was received
somewhere. So one way to check would be the list with date/amount, even
without name would be a help. Just to see "aha, it seems to have
arrived".

> For now at least, this info will have to be placed on a page on meta. I think
> I heard that we have received about US$1,000 in donations so far and that
> Jimbo put a couple thousand in the account when he opened it.

That is exactly what I am looking for. If you could make public this
infos would be great.

I hope you understand now what I meant and thanks for your time,
Fantasy :-)

PS:
> Er, ah, I just volunteered to be treasurer...
On my list of trustworthy people on Wikipedia you are number one, you
have my support ;-)