[Wikipedia-l] 300,000 draws near...

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 23:18:32 UTC 2003

tarquin wrote on Wikipedia-l
>Please wait until we have our logo decided

The end of the final vote is on the 25th, I'm sure we
can have the new logo up by the time the first press
releases are distributed on the 29th. If not then we
can wait a few days (or even wait two months for the
more conservative 300,000 alternate article count.
See:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wikistats/EN/TablesArticlesTotalAlt.htm
).

>& a clearer page layout!

? Which page? The meta version of the press release is
just that; a nice and tidy English version will be
created from that and it will be posted on the English
Wikipedia. I suggest that every Wikipedia host their
version of the press release on their own wiki so as
not to confuse people into thinking that meta is a
Wikipedia.

>Everybody stop writing articles now!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

That's not going to happen unless we implement
Nupedia-style editorial controls or pull the plug on
the server. ;)

Things that, IMO, have to be done before we distribute
the press release:

1)
http://meta.wikipedia.org/upload/6/68/Fundraising.html
needs to be finalized by the community and approved by
Jimbo.
2) Fundraising.html needs to be displayed at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/fundraising/
3) http://wikiquote.org and http://wikiquote.com need
to be forwarded to http://quote.wikipedia.org
4) A minimal webpage needs to be created for the
Wikimedia Foundation and displayed at
http://wikimediafoundation.org (http://wikimedia.org
should continue to be a portal to the different
Wikimedia projects; the only change that is needed is
a link to the foundation's website).

Things that would be real nice but not absolutely
necessary, IMO:

1) Upgrade Pliny (our webserver) and Larousse (our
database server). I'm tempted to move this item up...
2) Translated/different language versions of
Fundraising.html created.
3) Move Wikibooks to http://wikibooks.org
4) Move Wikiquote to http://wikiquote.org
5) Either revive Nupedia.org (the website) or remove
all mention of it from the Wikimedia.org page. We will
still have to decide what to do with this comatose
project. But not today.

Lower priority (mainly symbolic but still important in
the long run, IMO):

1) Move meta to http://meta.wikimedia.org (temp
Wikimedia logo needed)
3) Move the database download page to
http://download.wikimedia.org
4) Move the test wiki to http://test.wikimedia.org
5) Move the English Wikipedia to
http://en.wikipedia.org and create a language
selection portal at http://wikipedia.org (I know, way
too much work for a week for little real immediate
benefit; that's why these items are marked "lower
priority").

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

Related links:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia%27s_first_press_release