[Wikipedia-l] Table markup

Erik Zachte e.p.zachte at chello.nl
Wed Sep 17 11:00:13 UTC 2003

Magnus wrote:
> OK, so is there an example for
> * a row with several cells (say, more than 2)
> * that has some properties in common (e.g., background)
> * which can't be defined in the <table> / {| statement
> * in a table that is not one of a default type (countries, elements
etc.)

Magnus, I do agree that most <tr..> options are redundant.

However I did find some that may qualify (there will be more but this is
what I found in half an hour). Most address alignment.
(<table align=..> has a different purpose)

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_game

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/computation

is this a standard table?
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_I_of_Russia

is this a standard table?
(the elements table you mentioned is probably the Hydrogen etc version)
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronegativity

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_LR_parser

only 2 columns but very many rows
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_timeline

----

The option most used for table cells by far is align=...
What do you think? Would a wiki shortcut for this be useful?
If so, some suggestions for syntax,
shown in this order: left,right,center.
(align=left for completeness sake, left is default)

|<
|>
|^

or
|[
|]
|^

or

|l)
|r)
|c)

The last one might easily be extended to valign:
|t)
|b)
|m)

So