[Wikipedia-l] Table markup

Gutza gutza at moongate.ro
Tue Sep 16 08:39:41 UTC 2003

Magnus Manske wrote:

> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
>> It's not only that - `|' becomes magical not only at the begining of
>> line (what
>> would be relatively harmless), but also inside it.
>

> It will be only magical if
> * it is used inside a table and
> * if a '|' is the first char at the beginning of the line
> Or a "!", as of latest (yes, <th> has finally arrived!)
>
> The only use of '|' I can think of in text (not counting links, they
> won't be affected) is for ASCII drawings, and for these, the line
> always starts with a blank anyway.
>
>> Magnus said he's going to put it live on all pedias.
>> That's definitely the time for giving exact description.
>

> I put one up at
> http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_table_markup

Beautiful! I think this will make the life of newbies a lot easier when
having to use tables. And I'm also happy with the <th> tags, it's way
better than using classes; we just need to implement proper visual
support for headers in CSS for everyone to use it (<th> should have a
different background than <td> in all skins except printer-friendly IMHO).

Gutza