[Wikipedia-l] Fair use

Jimmy O'Regan jimregan at o2.ie
Mon Sep 15 19:42:42 UTC 2003

Merritt L. Perkins wrote:

> I am confused by the discussions of,” Fair Use”. What does the term
> mean? What are they talking about?
>
> If I describe an automobile as “ A motor vehicle for transporting
> people." you know that it is not an advertising sign or some kind of
> computer program. You can proceed to add more details.
>
> Does” Fair Use” mean the use that a program is intended for; the use
> that a person can properly make of a program?
>
> What does the acronym GFDL stand for?
>
> This was dictated with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 7 Preferred and read
> by Jennifer.
>
> Merritt L. Perkins

arise on a free /encyclopaedia/ I don't think it's remiss of me to say
you should perhaps look these terms up first? Since you're using a
speech recognition program, I'll presume you require it, and that
entering individual URLs may be difficult; I have a bookmarklet set in
mozilla (http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?search=%s&go=Go) which
allows me to type "wiki term I wish to look up"; this brings me directly
to the page, if one exists under that title, otherwise it brings me to
the search page. Using this I find:
The *fair use* doctrine <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine> is a
body of law <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law> and court decisions
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_decision> which provide limitations
and exceptions to copyright
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitations_and_exceptions_to_copyright>.
and:
The *GNU Free Documentation License* (GFDL) is a copyleft
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft> license for free content
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_content>, designed by the Free
Software Foundation
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Foundation> (FSF) for the