[Wikipedia-l] Vote on voting method for final round

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Sep 8 18:58:33 UTC 2003

Mav wrote in part:

>I think Erik is doing an excellent job and think he should be thanked for the
>many hours of his /own/ time he has put into this effort

Yes, that is true.

>instead of being accused of dictating terms.

To reiterate, I do not make that accusation.
(Well, there's a nonjudgmental literal sense in which it's a clear fact.
But one should avoid the term "dictating" for that sense!)

>This is, after all, the largest vote in
>Wikipedia's history and we are all learning as we move along. But at the same
>time the vote does have to move along. Arguing over the vote method to use on
>the vote to decide what the second stage voting method should be, is, IMO a
>petty activity that tends to rerail the process instead of moving it along.

Yes, just as choosing the Round 2 voting method by FPTP,
when that is known to be unpopular among just about everybody,
would tend to derail the process.  Accidentally, of course.
I don't believe that anybody is /trying/ to derail the process.

-- Toby