[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia.ru & Wikimedia.de

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 01:54:45 UTC 2003

Alex756 wrote:
>Perhaps they should be asked to relinquish the
>name. Do Wikipedia want to be associated
>with porno sites (at least one of the links from
>their main page link to a Russian porno site,
>and in Russia you do not need to limit such site
>access to adults, another liability issue for Wikipedia!

Yep - this is exactly what I have been talking about; Wikipedia.ru is a wiki
encyclopedia using the MediaWiki software and is thus nearly
indistinguishable from ru.Wikipedia.org. This creates real confusion in
readers about which is the real Russian Wikipedia. All we need is for the
Russian press to start mentioning Wikipedia.ru as the Russian Wikipedia when
writing about that website (which, as you mention, contains adverts we would
never allow on any Wikipedia version).

They are not Wikipedia! Thus they should not be using our name.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)