[Wikipedia-l] Cheating on logo voting

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 7 05:04:15 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>For the first stage, we simply assume that there's no significant level of
>cheating. This assumption may be wrong, but I doubt it. Keep in mind that
>the logo contest was advertised on the Main Pages of several Wikipedias.
>That means that it was one of the first things that many people saw of
>Wikipedia, and some of them probably thought: logo contest? That sounds
>interesting! And a minority of these people probably managed to get some
>votes in by figuring out how to edit the page.
>
>I don't think that's a big deal, and the outcome so far pretty much
>reflects my personal feelings (most people did not like the hydra,
>unfortunately!), but because we have actual prizes in this contest, we'll
>take better care to prevent cheating in the second stage. I hope that's a
>satisfactory solution. I encourage you and others to filter out non-
>existent users from the voting results to see if the results differ
>significantly.

I still think that before we go on to a second round we need a report on
each short list item that addresses
    1.    Whether there are any technical problems in such matters as
scaling ,
    2.    Whether there are conflicts with anyone else's logo, including
trademark violations, and
    3.    Where a short listed item has multiple variants, how we choose
between variants

Ec