[Wikipedia-l] logo - I will be bold

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Sep 5 18:25:23 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Anthere wrote:
>
>>Right
>>now, anyone can vote under an ip, anyone can vote
>>without anyone knowing them, anyone can replace the
>>logo of someone else by his, in particular in the top
>>10. And perhaps a logo which was in the top 10 before
>>being replaced by another won't be in the top 10
>>anymore, just because someone had fun replacing that
>>top 10 logo.
>>

>Has this actually happened?  Has someone removed a logo from the top
>10 and replaced it with another?  That's pure and simple vandalism of
>the worst sort.
>
>As for voting under ips or votes from people "we" don't all know, how
>significant are the numbers?  Is there really any reason to think that
>anyone is stuffing the ballot box?

Choosing the top ten for the short list was based on an arbitrary
number.  If 10th and 11th place are close in votes why not include the
11th?  If the occasional bit of improper voting happens, it is then
marginalized.  It would take massive vote fraud to make a difference.  I
prefer marginalizing the casual cheater to spending enormous energy
developing elaborate systems to catch them.

As for what to do with the short list (which also includes candidates
with multiple variants) perhaps they should be first reviewed for
technical workability.  Some of the high vote getters strike me as very
complicated designs that may not scale down very well for low-resolution
situations.

Ec

Ec