[Wikipedia-l] logo - I will be bold

Steve Vertigum utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 16:47:55 UTC 2003

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Steve-
> > It is a mess, though
>
> In which respect? I agree that voting using the wiki
> is always somewhat
> ugly. When I first proposed adding voting support to
> the software I was
> met with wide disapproval for suggesting that voting
> should be used at all
> for decision making. Through months of lobbying I
> and others have managed
> to erode that opposition somewhat so I hope that
> eventually voting boxes
> will just be another tag in the wiki syntax.

Yeah, its about time -- the purists lose me right
around the area of obvious necessity (just like
puritans are wacked about birth control)  and so some
added functionality is welcome.

> You are very welcome to submit changes to the
> MediaWiki software to
> support voting, an external CGI-based solution would
> be an ugly hack with
> many of the same problems as the current wiki-based
> voting.

Il consider asking for CVS access.  I may soon be too
occupied in other aspects of my life to do this. But I
think im ready to tinker ;-)

> Sure, if you do the sifting of thousands of votes
> with no software
> support.

Well, some of this ought to be done -- if someone
compiles a raw ip list from the recent changes list,
and dishes it out to the other developers - Jimbo
included, the five of you can do an easy tool for
common/redundant ips. I dont know the best *nix
software for this, since I dont run a nix yet.

> We have them (except for the submission deadline,
> but we accepted all
> logos that were still submitted on the same day).

Im glad you were flexible and reasonable with that,
and with other things.

> > *votes on the deadlines - not just a day or twos
> > discussion.

> You can vote on virtually every aspect of the
> contest -- logo format,
> number of pixels, number of colors, Wikipedia text
> or not, etc.

Yeah, but all of that is secondary to the issue of
when. (Where is not an issue). Consensus is fine, and
if somelike like you doesnt get ambitious with it and
take the lead, it might never get done. 'Herding cats'
is the applicable metaphor on wiki, (if your goal is
control anyway)  I think youve done a supremely fine
job, and knowing this, you should take Antheres
critiques with a grain of salt -- and consider them
sincere and potentially helpful.  Her English not so
good, is why it comes off a little sticky ;-)

> And no matter what
> deadline you set, you can be sure that Anthere will
> complain about it.
Haha.  Now... lets be civil.

Seriously,
-S-