[Wikipedia-l] Gray's Anatomy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Sep 4 17:05:59 UTC 2003

Regarding the 1908 Gray's anatomy, Magnus wrote:
> Questions:
> * Can we use these? AFAIK, scanning&OCR is not a copyrightable thing.

Yes, we should be fine with that.

> * Should we use these? Wikified, of course, as I did. They'd cover
> plenty of topics in the medical area, but may be a little old and heavy.
> OTOH, this is wikipedia; if you don't like the style, edit!

It's sort of a mixed blessing like the 1911 Britannica stuff, isn't
it?

Perhaps it would be best to add them slowly, perhaps in an automated
fashion, but maybe a few per day, so that we have time to absorb them.
It should be pretty easy for people to go through and update them to a
certain extent.  And some of that information, perhaps the bulk of it,
is going to be pretty valid even today.

--Jimbo