[Wikipedia-l] Bans

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 27 17:43:23 UTC 2003

Robert Graham Merkel wrote:

>Hmmm.  As I understood it, a ban was just that, a ban.   No wiggle room.
>Doesn't that imply that any contributions from a banned individual
>should be deleted  on the spot, and not reinstated?

Not as a logical consequence.  Any rule to that effect would be a
separate rule.  I prefer to look at ideas based on their inherent merit.
 Judging those ideas solely on the basis of who produced them is an ad
hominem argument.

It's only natural that knowing the author of certain comments will
affect the degree of care with which we scrutinize a contribution.  Once
we have made that decision, the contents alone should influence our
edits.   Without some degree of flexibility our universe begins to
resemble too closely something out of "Fahrenheit 451"

>If people want to argue that a particular user should be unbanned,
>that's another issue.

That issue is not being disputed.

Ec