[Wikilegal-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] since we are on legal matters ...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 27 01:00:39 UTC 2003

Anthere wrote:

>Grumble...another mailing list...grumble

Absolutely!!!  Attrition is inevitable.

>>This is a very good point. I have brought it up
>>before. Really, if you move text from one page (or
>>
>>from one language version to another) as part of the
>
>>move you should analyze the text and determine who
>>
>the >five major contributors are and list them in the
>
>>summary box. How to determine who the five major
>>contributors are?  Should it be via the amount of
>>
>text >each
>
>>contributes? Or the number of ideas?  How to count
>>ideas?
>>Perhaps an alternative is to state where the page
>>comes from that way someone should be able to work
>>back and find out who made the contribution.
>>Alex756

Applying any of these criteria,  except for the five most recent
contributors, can be the type of time-consuming process that people tend
to avoid.

>AieAieAie, I think, reading comments by Alex, Martin,
>Ec...that it would be best that we just abandon this
>notion of authorship.
>
>It would still be a good idea to always indicate the
>origin of a content moved from another place in the
>comment box.

Comment boxes just appeared one day without much discussion about how to
use them in contrast to the article's talk page.  I've just ignored the
feature.

Ec