[Wikipedia-l] Anthere is subverting the 142.177 hard ban

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 09:12:47 UTC 2003

142.177 has been hard banned for some time now and with a great deal of cause.
Anthere, however has been consistently undoing reverts of 142.177's edits on
meta and either restoring or recreating articles that 142.177 created.

I have tried to reason with her but she seems intent on not seeing as valid
Jimbo's pronouncement that 142.177 is banned /everywhere/:

ref: http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2003-March/009407.html

This is in spite of the clear evidence otherwise (see above) and the fact that
it was primarily actions 142.177 did on meta which initiated the ban. She
seems to think that the ban only applies to en.wikipedia.

In my view, one of the main reasons he keeps coming back is because some
people continue to restore his edits. Such actions implicitly say that what
he did was OK to begin with.

Also, Jimbo's position on evaluating each edit by a banned user (as Anthere
wants to do) is clear:

|My own position is that if someone is sneaking in to
|edit after a ban, it's really important to simply revert
|everything they do, in order to deprive them of the
|benefit that they seek.  Debating over the quality of
|each individual edit only encourages them to stick
|around and argue about it, as if they had never been
|banned.

ref: http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2003-February/001354.html

Please advise.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)