[Wikipedia-l] Switching everything to UTF-8

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Nov 18 00:22:33 UTC 2003

Tomasz-
> * broken browsers - they should be upgraded, if someone has browser so old
> 			that it doesn't grok UTF-8, it's not going to grok CSS,
> 			PNGs, and other things we're using either.
> 			Unless we want to remove all CSS and PNGs, there's
> 			no point in not using UTF-8.

Is this true? All I know is that we had a *lot* of problems with broken
special chars on the Meta-Wiki during the logo contest. I have no idea
which browser broke them, but it seems to be a not totally uncommon one,
perhaps in the 5% range. Given that a single edit by such a person will
break an entire page, it might not be so wise to switch (but perhaps I'm
missing something -- is Meta running UTF-8?).

Regards,

Erik