[Wikipedia-l] Switching everything to UTF-8

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Nov 17 23:28:46 UTC 2003

On Nov 17, 2003, at 15:02, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> Staying so long with ISO 8859 was a mistake.
>
> So I propose converting all Wikipedias that aren't using UTF-8 yet to
> UTF-8.
> Procedure should be like that:
[...]

How about we do the conversion when installing the new big database
server? (Tentatively next week if they actually ship the machine on
time.)

We'll have to go down to read-only mode while copying stuff over
anyway, so this consolidates downtime. The conversion itself can be
done by simply piping the database dump through iconv as it's being
copied into the new db.

Easy as pie!

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)