[Wikipedia-l] Re: Setting a new server in France for french wikipedia

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Tue Nov 11 10:35:35 UTC 2003

user_Jamesday wrote:
> Addressing various points:
>
> 1. Does the main Wikipedia/Wikimedia foundation really want to be
> located on French soil and subject to French law with all
> international funds subject to judgements by French courts? I don't

The Wikimedia foundation is "located on Florida soil and subject to
Florida and USA law". Supose the only reason why it is Florida for
Wikimedia is that Jimmy is from there and so it is the logical choise.

If where let say Lars Aronsson the founder of Wikipedia it would be i
think a Swedish foundation for Wikimedia.

That does not change whit the creation of a foundation in France.

> think that's wise unless it can't be avoided.

I agree that it is better not to create a new foundation, not because it
is in France, but because one for now must be enough.

> 3. Caching proxies seem like a better way to obtain legal isolation,
> since proxies and caching are fairly widely accepted as being
> different from the sites they are caching. I assume that the French
> foundation can be set up as a non-proft dedicated to increasing the
> responsiveness of the Wikipedia when accessed from within France.
>
> 4. This is also a nice model for local caches around the world.

Sounds good. Now the traffic is on a global scale not so much. But like
there are now many ISP's who have there owne "tucows" mirror and a
"sourceforge" download mirror ISP's mayby also will setup there
wikipedia mirror so the have to pay less expensive international bandwidth.

--
Contact: walter AT wikipedia PUNT be
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie