[Wikipedia-l] Setting a new server in France for french wikipedia

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 22:29:59 UTC 2003

Anthere wrote:
>Still, proposition : what about waiting till that new
>server is there and working ? All the tech people
>discussing mirrors on the tech list for a good couple
>of months instead of 10 days ? And taking the next 6
>months to set a proper proposition for association ?

I agree - there is no hurry here.  I just visited fr.wikipedia and it was very
fast. A new database server is also going to be set-up really soon and Brion
is already figuring out how to do webserver load balancing between different
machines. But when the time comes I'm sure we will be able to add a read-only
websever in France to the load balancing mix for fr.wikipedia. Either way all
edits should go to the database server in San Diego (which could then update
the cache of every webserver in near real-time).

Why would this need a French affiliate Wikimedia Foundation? Could the
Wikimedia Foundation just register in France as a non-profit? There are also
copyright concerns. I would like to see an affiliate EU Wikipedia Foundation
set-up, but I would not like to see us have to set-up affiliates in every
nation.  That does not seem to be a practical solution.

Either way I just don't see a need to set-up affiliates right now. Shouldn't
we first put our energies into fully setting up the Wikipedia Foundation
before starting to set-up affiliates?

What's the hurry?

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)