[Wikipedia-l] Re: [WikiFR-l] Read only mirror in Paris & French law non profitorganisation

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 18:13:45 UTC 2003

--- "Alex T." <alex756 at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Excuse me for writing this in English, but I don't
> have
> the time to try and work on writing it in French and
> I am responding to Anthere's post which was in
> English.

that is ok. This should be global discussion

> Perhaps Jimbo should be contacted as Wikimedia
> is the owner of all rights to the Wikipedia name,
> also the question of French copyright law is then
> compounded with American copyright law as there
> is simultaneous publication in both countries? Or
> will
> it be a mirror only, i.e. if you submit an edit on
> the
> French server it will first be recorded on the US
> server?

Initially, it will be so. Discussions are over the
frequency of database update. Perhaps every night. I
do not understand how we can really work on a
wikipedia, where edits are on en and reading on fr,
only updated once (or even more) a day. Does that mean
we have to edit a page to see its real content ?

> Otherwise a french not-for-profit that donates to
> the
> US not-for-profit and also supports a mirror might
> be a good way to get tax exempt status in the EU
> (though I am not in any way knowledgeable about
> tax implications in the EU), i.e. will a French
> organization
> that accept charitable donations also be charitable
> (and
> hence tax exempt) in Great Britain for example?

The association 1901 can not receive donations. It can
receive members fees (we can have members of honor I
guess to turn the problem). To be exempted itself, it
must ask specifically to be so and be granted to be
so.

That is very heavy afterwards because there are some
controls over how money is used; I know not who would
take care of these money issue, but my understanding
(from my Iaal sister and father-in law) is that it is
not to neglect

Or
> is
> it like the US, some application will need to be
> made in
> each tax jurisdiction? If there can be one
> recognized
> charity that has Wikipedia as a patron in the EU
> that would
> be good (and also convenient for sending donations
> one central body). Of course an agreement would have
> to be worked out with Wikimedia Foundation (USA) and
> Fondation Wikimedia (France) to determine their
> respective
> rights and obligations.
>
> Alex T. Roshuk (Alex756) (IAAL but it's NALO!)

In short, this is not simple and I doubt it can be set
before the 22nd of november. That is all I say