[Wikipedia-l] Re: Two issues here: what is legal to have on the server and what is legal in the user's nation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri May 16 08:09:27 UTC 2003

Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:

>Indeed, I would consider it heroic to violate local laws to post
>useful information on Wikipedia, such as first-hand descriptions of
>the acts of despotic governments, or information about how to
>defeat net access restrictions.
>
>A more tricky issue is postings that are legal elsewhere but not
>legal in California, such as the posting of information that is
>public domain in places whose legislature isn't owned by Disney.
>We probably have to supress such information, which is a shame.

One of the online text outfits has some of its materials on an
Australian server where the copyright term is life + 50 years.  It
advises Americans that they may be breaking their own laws if they dare
to look at these texts.  Having an aditional Wikipedia server outside
the US to hold this kind of material could be useful.

Eclecticology