[Wikipedia-l] A vision for wiki syntax, documented

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri May 16 06:40:26 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 16:00, Daniel Mayer wrote:
[snip]
> I would still like to know if a conversion script
> would be run.
[snip]

Of course there would be, just as there was a conversion for the
replacement of subpages with the talk namespace, and a conversion for
the replacement of direct-URL images with the local upload space and
[[image:]] links.

Limiting / stripping / segregating HTML now will be a huuuuge advantage
in the future, when HTML is replaced by QLZML and nothing supports HTML
anymore and we still want people to be able to read and edit the 10
million articles in Wikipedia. Much better to clean up our act now with
a clean, well-understood syntax than when the burden will be much much
greater.

I leave issues of particular table syntax to those who are interested in
such.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)