[Wikipedia-l] Changes and suggestions (was Re: slight change to the announce-l list)

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 30 18:31:19 UTC 2003

At 12:51 AM 3/30/03 -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
>On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 23:52, Anthere wrote:
> > 3. Could it be possible that the "random page" be (per
> > option) chosen with a size threashold ? This would be
> > to avoid all these pages about dates and french little
> > villages that keep on appearing on random pages :-).
>
>Hehe... Traditionally people asked for that to keep out the city pages
>on the English wiki, which wouldn't help at all since those pages are at
>or _above_ the median article size...

While on the subject of the "random page" link, why is it that the page it
takes me to is apparently not very random? Sometimes when I've got nothing
specific to do I'll just start clicking random page repeatedly searching
for an interesting article to tinker with, and I find that I start visiting
the same small set of pages over and over again. Also, it seems that an
unusually large number of these random pages are ones which have been just
recently edited, though I haven't done a rigorous count of this. Is there
some sort of non-random algorithm being used?