[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Announce-l] slight change to the announce-l list

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 07:52:50 UTC 2003

--- "Thomas R. Koll" <tomk32 at gmx.de> wrote:
> > [...] Of course, none of this matters unless
> poeple start using it.
>
> I´ll do so now.
> Could you annonce that the German Wikipedia has hit
> 13.000 articles tonight?

Eh great ! good for you

We will soon be at 9000 on the fr

Hum, that leads me to the following points

1. Was the count system for pages changed ? If it was,
when was it ? When it is changed, could it be
announced on the "announced list" please ? It will
also need to be made obvious on the stats pages

2. When are we going to have the counts of hits per
page up again on the english wiki ? with the new
server ? when is that new server expected ? could we
have any time line here ?

3. Could it be possible that the "random page" be (per
option) chosen with a size threashold ? This would be
to avoid all these pages about dates and french little
villages that keep on appearing on random pages :-).
Editors would put the option without threashold for
article-to-improve, and readers would have a
threashold to remove stubs when just chasing
interesting articles to *read*
(this request reported from some french people)

4. Could we slightly improve the search box, maybe by
having a drop down menu aside from it : search in
encyclopedia by default as right now, search in
personnal pages, search in meta pages...but have it at
first level, not on a second page, after a first
unfruitful search.

Some French people have replaced "comma" hunting, by
"redirect" hunting, and it is making very tough (and
very server demanding) to repeat two times the search
when you don't remember how to get to the page about
mispellings

5. About mispellings : French people are suffering a
lot each time they see a mispelling; that's a
biological issue I guess.
Some started removing any redirection of common
mispellings, upon the reason having these mispelled
pages is somehow a way to give officiality (to
recognise) to the mispelling.
So, since others protest and undelete the
redirections, some asked if it would be possible to
somehow catch mispellings, redirect the mispelled
title to the right-spelled page, *and* dynamically
display a message at the top of the article saying
"you asked for "fachisme", this word does not exist,
and is probably a mispelling of "fascisme".

In short, google.

This is a reported suggestion