[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia unscheduled downtime over

Brion Vibber vibber at sal-sun062.usc.edu
Wed Mar 26 20:57:36 UTC 2003

Wikipedia was inaccessible from about 11:20 to 19:00 UTC this
evening/morning/whatever it is where you are.

The problem seems to have been triggered by a runaway database query on
the francophone wikipedia; unfortunately coming during our busiest time
of day everything just ground to a halt.

I'll try to rig up some better protection from accidents of this sort in
the future (automatic timeouts/kills for slow manual queries); in the
meantime, sysops always be careful with your queries! Treat our server
gentle, and she'll be good to you in return.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)