[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikimedia.org (that's with an "m" as in multimedia)

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Sat Mar 22 08:01:02 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Wikimedia.org could also be the central repository of all types of resource
> media files (images, sounds, videos, GIS-based maps, maybe even indexed
> read-only source text documents ...) that could be used by all Wikipedia
> languages, Wiktionary, "WikiTextbooks", "WikiFiction" and whatever else we
> think-up. This project could be covered by the GNU-FDL by default, but IMO
> the GNU-FDL is poorly suited for media files...

Don't waste ressources.  Better use archiving projects that already
exist:

    http://www.ibiblio.org
    http://www.gutenberg.net

The Wikipedia is for dynamic contents (articles written by us);
documents are better stored on specialized sites.

--
ke at suse.de (work) / keichwa at gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o