[Wikipedia-l] Re: New bug concerning lists

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Wed Mar 19 16:42:03 UTC 2003

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

>And some editor even add <br> elements at the end of semantical
>entities ;-(

Valid on a web page for, say, poetry.

Of course, Wikipedia doesn't include poetry, except in quotations,
where we use : at the beginning of the line instead:

====
: Roses are red;
: Violets are blue;
: An I for an I,
: and a II for a II.
====

Of course, this doesn't work if the line breaks don't tell you
that the : line has ended.

And Project Sourceberg *does* include unquoted poetry:

====
Roses are red;<br>
Violets are blue;<br>
An I for an I,<br>
and a II for a II.
====

(The semantic line breaks that I use in my emails are of course inappropriate
when the line length may be nothing like the 80 column email standard
that my emails are written to reflect.)

-- Toby