[Wikipedia-l] Re: New bug concerning lists

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Mon Mar 17 19:16:45 UTC 2003

Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> writes:

> Thank you for volunteering to rewrite the parser to consistently produce
> correct XHTML. Right?

No, I'm not a hacker :)  Feeding stuff thru tidy/untidy can do wonders...

> Seriously, *your* ideal column width and *my* ideal column width are not
> always going to be the same. If your lines are longer than my edit box,
> I see ragged broken lines and text does *not* look nice. If your lines
> are shorter than my edit box, I see a lot of annoyingly short lines and
> text does *not* look nice. This has been an endemic problem for years in
> email and usenet, and I've no desire to see it in wiki.

There is some truth in your statement.  But: for editing purposes
jumping line length don't hurt that much (Emacs hat M-q to work around
those problems...) and more important I simply depend on broken
lines -- grep, sed and awk work best on those line.

And don't tell me a webbrowser's built-in editor is a proper tool to
write articles ;)

--
ke at suse.de (work) / keichwa at gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o